St Mary’s’ Church, Weeford
Sue Chapman 07708 363880
Jean Hawkes 01543 682856
Alison Deakin 01543 480862
The ancient village of Weeford is mentioned in the Domesday Book and was one of the five original ‘prebends’ that paid ‘wax Scot’ or ‘Plough Alms’ to the cathedral in Lichfield from the beginning of the twelfth century. It is likely therefore that there has been a church in the village for many centuries.
The current church was built in 1802 by noted local architect James Wyatt. It has a fine Hilditch organ. Today the church is the only building in the scattered communities of Swinfen, Packington and Weeford that the residents can truly call their own.
Whilst still very much a parish church for the community, St Mary’s has a thriving wedding ministry. Three excellent reception venues – Swinfen Hall, Packington Moor and the School House – are close by, and the latter just two minutes walk away, which makes it very convenient!